Tuesday 22 January 2013

Morocco: Autumn - November 2012


After a hiatus of holidays due to a major house renovation work, I broke it by going to Morocco. Initially I thought of going to South Africa as I was inspired by a friend who went there in October. Unfortunately it was too expensive, close to RM15k per person! I need to financially "recover" first from the effect of the renovation before I can even think of going there.

Since I cannot afford to go south, I decided to go north instead. Morocco did not disappoint. It is a country with beautiful landscapes, interesting history and unique culture. During my visit, the weather was marvellous too. Even though it was close to winter, the temperature was between 5-25C, depending on which city you were at.
 
A few things caught me by surprise in this trip. First was the travel time from Kuala Lumpur to Casablanca. Since Morocco time zone is the same as London, I thought that the flight time will be around 12 hours. It turned out to be 16 hours! And that is not inclusive of the 3 hours transit time at Abu Dhabi.
 
Secondly, which turned out to be the most memorable was that on the 27 November 2012. On our way from Fes to Erfoud we got to experience three seasons in a day! Autumn splendour at the "Alpine" town of Irfane. It was snowing while we were crossing the Middle Atlas and a few hours later a bright hot sun at the desert. Surreal!
 
Thirdly, this is with regard to their main dish. When I expected it to be savoury, it turned out to be sweet! So if you are a "cili padi" lover, better stick to their shish kebab - be it chicken, mutton, beef or fish. I think the Moroccans have perfected the dish. Soft, tasty and juicy! Delicious :)
 
This trip also marked a few firsts:
  • First time I flew via Etihad. The in-flight meals were not as good as Qatar Airways. Their Abu Dhabi International Airport however is better than Doha's. I like the colour of their plane interior. The colour of their blankets are attractive too and what surprise me most is they allowed their customers to take them home! Not all airlines are that generous. Etihad also offers plug point at all seats. Something that should be emulate by the rest of the airlines don't you think?
  • First time I went for a holiday without a companion. I did not actually travel solo in a real sense cause I joined a travel group. Hehe .. baby steps ;p The tour members were great so I did not feel as though I was alone :)
  • First time I took a trip after I started this blog which resulted in me being a little bit over-board with photo-takings. Wanting to record every thing and their gorgeous landscapes did not help either ;p
The tour was organised by Parlo Tours. It run from 23 November to 2 December 2012. The price was RM6.3k per person (twin-share). RM7.2k if you opt for a single room.
 
I've uploaded 642 photos for your viewing pleasure. I've broken my blog record (again!) I really need to control myself in my next trip :( Frankly, en route to Marrakech I am totally in awe with our Creator effortless creations. I hope you will find the time to go through the pictures and appreciate them too. Stop for a while from your busy schedule and smell the roses ;) 
 
You can access the photos at my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mkhasha.n.travels/. Go to the photo albums.
 
Njoy!!